The number of visible, openly LGBTQ senior leaders across the private sector and government is at an all-time high. However, this cohort tends to not represent the full diversity of the LGBTQ community, especially with respect to racial, ethnic, gender diversity, and ability, among other characteristics. Barriers to career advancement – and even employment itself – are compounded for those LGBTQ people that also embody other marginalized identities. The daily unconscious bias, legacy and systemic systems of racism, and other forms of discrimination come to bear on the daily working lives of LGBTQ people across identities. A Black, Transgender woman navigating her workplace cannot take a breather from racism to cope with anti-transgender bias or gender inequality: at any given moment she is faced with all at once, in addition to her job or attempts to get a job. Meaningful change and programming to advance the next cohort of LGBTQ leaders must be intersectional to be effective.
Out & Equal is excited to launch a Diverse Leaders Fellowship to support LGBTQ leaders who identify as people of color, persons of varied abilities, women, transgender and/ or nonbinary. Part of a broader strategy to enhance opportunities and build cultures of inclusion, the fellowship is intended to increase the pipeline of out early- and mid-career underrepresented LGBTQ talent in Fortune 500 companies. Each fellow will be provided specialized networking and professional development opportunities that center an intersectional framework.
This program is provided at no cost to participants from our partner organizations in 2021.
This fellowship is one element in our strategy to make sure that no part of the LGBTQ community is left behind.
2021 Diverse Leaders Fellowship
We invite high-potential LGBTQ who identify as people of color, persons of varied abilities, women, transgender and/ or nonbinary, to apply to participate in the inaugural cohort of the fellowship. Applicants must identify as an LGBTQ member of one or more of these underrepresented groups. They should also be in the early-to-mid career stage, with no more than 15 years of work experience.
Applications are open through Friday, August 20. You will be notified if you were accepted by Friday, September 3.
Fellows will convene for learning and networking opportunities October 5-8, 2021. Participation includes:
- Diverse Leaders Symposium
- Fellows will convene for a virtual daylong learning program on Tuesday, October 5, 2021. In closed group sessions, fellows will explore professional development topics such as leading with authenticity, executive presence, personal branding, and more.
- 2021 Workplace Summit
- Fellows will receive complementary access to the 2021 Workplace Summit. Diverse Leaders Fellows will also have the option to convene for exclusive professional development seminars, networking opportunities, and leadership talks during the 3-day virtual conference.
- Continuing Networking and Education
- Beyond October, Out & Equal will convene Fellows for quarterly learning and networking opportunities. Topics and details for these opportunities will be decided in conjunction with the cohort.