About Out & Equal
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the world’s premier nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer workplace equality.
We partner with Fortune 1000 companies and government agencies to provide executive leadership development, comprehensive training and consultation, and professional networking opportunities that build inclusive and welcoming work environments.
Since 1996, we have worked with executives, human resources professionals, Employee Resource Groups and individuals to provide leadership and professional development, education, and research to create workplaces free of discrimination.
Out & Equal hosts the annual Workplace Summit where employees and experts from around the world gather to share strategies and best practices to create diverse and inclusive workplaces that foster belonging for LGBTQ people around the world.
Reporting to the Director of HR & Operations, the controller will provide hands-on financial management to Out & Equal and will serve as a critical member of the Operations team. This position will be responsible for the effective execution of the finance and accounting functions of the organization, in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, and will be responsible for ensuring the integrity of the organization’s financial record-keeping. The controller will review and maintain a strong system of internal controls to ensure accurate reporting of transactions, identify opportunities to strengthen the organization’s financial health, ensure that finance policies align with organizational values, and work to bring an equity lens to the finance function.
This job is for you if:
- You have expert knowledge of GAAP and a passion for excellence in accounting and financial management.
- You’re motivated by process and details, and a perfect ledger and a flawless audit are your pride and joy.
- You’re excited to develop and improve on internal controls, guidelines, and procedures.
- You’re comfortable working with cross-functional teams and explaining accounting principles to non-financial professionals
- You’re comfortable working autonomously, but you take a service-oriented approach to your accounting role.
- You strive to bring organizational values and an equity lens to financial management
- Process all payables and receivables, and coordinate management of receivables with staff
- Maintain general ledger; keep records of all financial transactions for the organization
- Manage banking relationships
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local law requirements for all accounting and financial reports
- Process payroll and benefits, and record payroll activity in the general ledger
- Reconcile bank statements and credit card activities, and record in general ledgers
- Manage month-end close process
- Monitor expenses and revenues, and produce monthly financial reports to the Board of Directors
- Prepare Budget-to-Actuals report for organizational management and produce updated forecasts throughout the year
- Monitor the organization’s cash position
- Audit: Plan, prepare, and coordinate annual audit with external auditors
- Preparation of the Tax Form 990 with external contractor
- Participate in annual budgeting processes
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and all major organizational events
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experiences
As the incoming Controller, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years in a financial management position, with expert knowledge of GAAP and best practices relating to nonprofit accounting; a degree or certification in accounting or financial management is a plus.
- Proven ability to take responsibility for all aspects of accounting and finance for a nonprofit organization, and enthusiasm and willingness to perform the full range of tasks that go with that role
- High-level proficiency with nonprofit accounting software and MS Office 365 Suite (especially Outlook and Excel). Salesforce is a plus.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to be diplomatic, discreet, flexible, personable, and professional with colleagues and external stakeholders
- Comfort building relationships and managing across an organization: Credibility and ability to motivate others at all levels, comfort holding self and others accountable to commitments.
- Integrity, judgment, professional maturity, and discretion: Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- A strong commitment to using intersectional approaches to promote Out & Equal’s mission of workplace inclusion for all; experience with LGBTQ issues and communities a plus
Compensation, Schedule, and Location
This is a full time, exempt position based in San Francisco, CA, with travel required approximately two times per year. Occasional work during evenings and weekends will be required. Salary will be determined upon hiring, commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills.
Out & Equal’s generous benefits package includes four weeks’ paid vacation in addition to 10 office holidays and sick leave; fully employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members; FSA and commuter benefits; EAP; life and disability insurance; and 401k plan with employer match and a 6% safe harbor contribution after one year.
How to Apply
Applications must include: (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, and (2) your resume.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis.
To apply, submit a resume and a detailed cover letter outlining your specific interest in this position and your relevant experience here: https://outandequal.org/apply/
Providing a welcoming and inclusive workplace for all is at the heart of Out & Equal’s mission, and we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization through our hiring practices and the values we bring to our work every day. We strongly encourage people of color, trans and nonbinary people, people with disabilities, and women to apply. Out & Equal complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.