Out & Equal Workplace Advocates has developed a list of tools and best practices to create equality in the workplace for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) employees. These 20 Steps have helped many employers create more equitable workplace environments where everyone can be both “out” and “equal” at work.
EQUAL POLICIES AND BENEFITS
- Include sexual orientation and gender identity and expression in global nondiscrimination and anti-harassment policies.
- Recognize same-sex couples and their families with full, equal access to all company benefits globally, including domestic partner and marriage benefits.
- Ensure that global health coverage includes complete health benefits for transgender employees without exclusions.
- Ensure that supplier codes of conduct include sexual orientation and gender identity in nondiscrimination policies.
TALENT MANAGEMENT & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Establish and support LGBTQ & Ally employee resource groups.
- Recruit, hire, and offer mentoring to LGBTQ employees.
- Provide leadership and professional development experiences specifically for LGBTQ & Ally employees.
- Track recruitment and career development metrics for LGBTQ employees who choose to self-identify.
- Provide LGBTQ-specific diversity training through Out & Equal University.
- Use climate surveys to measure effectiveness of LGBTQ diversity policies and programs.
- Include LGBTQ diversity objectives in management performance goals.
- Communicate routinely to all employees how the organization supports its LGBTQ workforce.
- Support nonprofit groups working for LGBTQ equality.
- Sponsor and encourage visible participation in LGBTQ cultural events.
- Develop and implement LGBTQ-inclusive marketing and advertising strategies.
- Include LGBTQ-owned businesses in supplier diversity program objectives.
ADVOCACY & CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY
- Be a visible role model for LGBTQ workplace equality in the community.
- Support public policy efforts that protect LGBTQ workplace equality.
- Actively oppose any attempts that would limit or restrict LGBTQ workplace equality.
- Share leading practices on LGBTQ workplace equality by supporting the Out & Equal Workplace Summit.