“The good news from Wendy’s proves once again that building coalitions around the Equality Principles is a strategy that works and deserves support. This is how we’ll win at ExxonMobil.”
Grant Lukenbill, Managing Director – Equality Project
“Now I can have a double with cheese again without feeling guilty. It’s clear that Wendy’s wants all Americans to be treated fairly regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation. My congratulations to them for making workplace fairness job one.”
Melissa Sklarz, Co-Chair – Equality Project
May 3, 2006—The Equality Project, a consumer, employee and investor coalition, announced today that Wendy’s International, Dublin, OH, has agreed to amend its employment nondiscrimination policy by adding new written protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity for all employees.
In addition, the Equality Project, along with 19 national GLBT organizations called on ExxonMobil, Dallas, TX, to abandon its eight-year anti-gay stance of refusing to reinstate the words sexual orientation into its written employee nondiscrimination policy following its merger with Mobil Corporation in 1999. The organization also reminded shareholders of ExxonMobil stock to vote their shares in an upcoming resolution brought by New York City Employees Retirement Fund (NYCERS) calling on the company to amend its written employment policy.
At Wendy’s International, the change in official workplace policy was brought about through a NYCERS shareholder resolution filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as requested earlier by the Equality Project. NYCERS has now agreed to withdraw that resolution.
Last week, a spokesperson for Wendy’s International confirmed for the Equality Project that the company’s new written employee nondiscrimination and anti-harassment policy will now include the words sexual orientation and gender identity.
EQUALITY PRINCIPLES COALITION SUPPORTERS:
• Equality Project Investor Advocates
• Funders for Gay and Lesbian Issues Inc. (FILGI)
• Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD)
• Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA)
• Gender Public Advocacy Coalition (GenderPAC)
• Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
• International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC)
• Lambda Legal
• Mautner Project, the National Lesbian Health Organization
• National Center for Transgender Equality
• National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education
• National Gay Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
• National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
• National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association
• National Stonewall Democrats
• National Transgender Advocacy Coalition (NTAC)
• National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC)
• Out & Equal Workplace Advocates
• Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
• Pride at Work
* * * *
Echelon magazine provides Out & Equal with relevant LGBT workplace-related articles. In an ongoing effort to build relationships with other community-minded organizations, Out & Equal encourages its audience to frequent the Echelon magazine site for additional newsworthy stories.