About Out & Equal
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the world’s premier nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer workplace equality.
We partner with Fortune 1000 companies and government agencies to provide executive leadership development, comprehensive training and consultation, and professional networking opportunities that build inclusive and welcoming work environments.
Since 1996, we have worked with executives, human resources professionals, Employee Resource Groups and individuals to provide leadership and professional development, education, and research to create workplaces free of discrimination.
Out & Equal hosts the annual Workplace Summit where employees and experts from around the world gather to share strategies and best practices to create diverse and inclusive workplaces that foster belonging for LGBTQ people around the world.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Operating Officer, the Executive Assistant provides administrative support to maximize the effectiveness of the CEO and COO. The Executive Assistant will provide administrative and logistical support to the Board of Directors and will coordinate and execute various priority projects for the CEO and COO.
This job is for you if:
- You’re known for your thoroughness: You thrive on managing various projects without losing track of details or letting balls drop.
- You’re comfortable keeping other people on time and on task.
- You’re highly organized—and you understand that not everyone else is!
- You take pride in always being one step ahead of the team you’re supporting: You can anticipate needs and solve logistical problems before they start.
- You get a sense of satisfaction from managing a perfectly organized calendar, scheduling a seamless business trip, or setting up a board meeting where everything goes just as planned.
- You’re excited to take on interesting projects as they come up and see new assignments as learning opportunities.
- You’re comfortable being the first point of contact for the executive team and often the organization as a whole, and you make a point of leaving our external contacts with a great impression.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Executive & Administrative Support
- Serve as the main liaison between executives and staff, Board, and external stakeholders, independently handling information requests and using discretion in managing appointment requests.
- Maintain CEO and COO’s calendars: Manage tasks and deadlines, prepare materials for meetings, and confirm appointments as needed
- Plan domestic and international travel for executives, including air travel, ground transportation, accommodations and meals as needed
- Maintain confidential information with judgment and sensitivity
- Prepare correspondence and presentations on behalf of executives, copyedit materials, provide research assistance with various projects
- Check mail and voicemail and respond as needed
- Reconcile credit card expenses, process reimbursement requests, and maintain records of expense reports
- Handle special projects as needed and all other administrative needs for the department
- Develop and maintain annual calendar of board and committee meetings; ensure that information and reminders are distributed in a timely manner
- Prepare and distribute materials for board meetings and committee meetings
- Coordinate and provide on-site logistical support for in-person board meetings (including location selection and setup, arranging catering, procurement of supplies, and setting up AV)
- Maintain accurate records of official proceedings of the Board and Executive Committee meetings, and maintain complete records of all materials produced for and discussed at meetings.
- Answer main phone line for office and route inquiries as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experiences
As the incoming Executive Assistant, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience providing administrative or executive support
- Demonstrated experience planning board meetings, staff events, or comparable events
- Ability to be diplomatic, discreet, flexible, personable, and professional with colleagues, Board members, and other stakeholders
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and expectations from internal and external stakeholders, while prioritizing executive department needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Tech- and Internet-savvy: Ability to perform discerning and quick Internet research as assigned; ability to work in both a Mac and PC-based environment; high-level proficiency with Office 365 suite, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word; Salesforce, online platforms, and social media a plus.
- Comfortable building relationships and managing across an organization: Credibility and ability to motivate others at all levels, comfort holding self and others accountable to commitments.
- Integrity, judgment, and discretion: Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- A strong commitment to using intersectional approaches to promote Out & Equal’s mission of workplace inclusion for all; experience with LGBTQ issues and communities a plus
Compensation, Schedule, and Location
This is a full time, nonexempt position based in San Francisco, CA, with travel required approximately three times per year. Occasional work during evenings and weekends will be required. Hourly wage will be determined upon hiring, commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills, but will be in the range of $28.20-$33.90 per hour ($55,000 to $70,000 per year)
Out & Equal’s generous benefits package includes four weeks’ paid vacation in addition to 10 office holidays and sick leave; fully employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members; FSA and commuter benefits; EAP; life and disability insurance; and 401k plan with employer match and a 6% safe harbor contribution after one year.
How To Apply
Applications must include: (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, and (2) your resume.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis.
To apply, submit a resume and a detailed cover letter outlining your specific interest in this position and your relevant experience here: http://outandequal.org/apply/
Providing a welcoming and inclusive workplace for all is at the heart of Out & Equal’s mission, and we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization through our hiring practices and the values we bring to our work every day. We strongly encourage people of color, trans and nonbinary people, people with disabilities, and women to apply. Out & Equal complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.