You are a strategic creative thinker and a focused impeccable executer. You’re a passionate driver of our message with expertise in varying communication mediums. Your strengths include engaging volunteers and partners and building community. You are a multi-talented, innovative, focused self-starter. You are an inspiring team leader and a motivating and supportive supervisor.
You are responsible for leading and executing Out & Equal’s stakeholder engagement. This position will oversee our Employee Resource Group (ERG) Network, Affiliate Program, Advisory Committees, and strategic engagement with key stakeholders including Government Agencies and Community Organizations. You will plan, organize, and direct our work with the community and lead our constituent engagement work.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
About the Organization
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the world’s premier nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer workplace equality.
We partner with Fortune 1000 companies and government agencies to provide executive leadership development, comprehensive training and consultation, and professional networking opportunities that build inclusive and welcoming work environments.
Since 1996, we have worked with executives, human resources professionals, Employee Resource Groups and individuals to provide leadership and professional development, education, and research to create workplaces free of discrimination.
Out & Equal hosts the annual Workplace Summit where employees and experts from around the world gather to share strategies and best practices to create diverse and inclusive workplaces that foster belonging for LGBTQ people around the world.
Duties & Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Stakeholder Engagement will:
- Conduct the necessary outreach/actions to understand the stakeholder needs and develop stakeholder analyses;
- Build the strategy for and lead stakeholder engagement work including creating connection points, developing virtual community, and supporting volunteers.
- Drive Out & Equal Regional Affiliate program- support volunteer leaders, source mutual benefit for leaders, Affiliates, and Out & Equal, ensure brand is effectively represented at all times within the program, leverage program to widen visibility, and expand our reach;
- Lead Advisory Committees/Engagement Groups including recruitment, recognition, and effectively leveraging high-level volunteers for People of Color, Bisexual+, and Transgender Communities;
- Support ERG Leaders across the globe and in corporate and government sectors through the development and publication of ERG resources and tool-kits;
- Manage volunteer relationships in a growing digital community;
- Represent the stakeholder “voice” in the new Out & Equal digital hub, oversee specific content and engagement within this digital space, and manage digital “conversations” for specific stakeholder groups;
- Co-create and execute (with the Comms. team) communications events, vehicles, tactics and tools to create momentum and awareness and drive engagement and attendance at Out & Equal programs;
- Track and measure the level of engagement with stakeholders over time;
- Participate in the strategic planning process and be part of the team that builds the new brand of Out & Equal;
- Sit on the Out & Equal Leadership Team and participate in visioning and execution of our mission.
- Special projects as assigned.
- 10+ years of community engagement experience – strong preference for experience in LGBTQ or similar advocacy work
- Experience with relationship management software, especially Salesforce, a plus;
- Interest and ability to thrive in a busy environment, including the ability to easily balance being available to staff and staying focused on details.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Demonstrated experience and enjoyment working with and supporting a diverse workforce.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
This is a full time, salaried position based in Washington, DC, with occasional travel required. Salary will be determined upon hiring, commensurate with the candidate’s experience and skills, but will be in the range of $120k to $150k. Out & Equal’s generous benefits package includes four weeks’ paid vacation in addition to 10 office holidays and sick leave; fully employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members; FSA and commuter benefits; EAP; life and disability insurance; and 401k plan with employer match and a 6% safe harbor contribution after one year.
Applications must include: (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, (2) your resume, and (3) your salary expectations.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis.
To apply, submit a resume and a detailed cover letter outlining your specific interest in this position and your relevant experience here: http://outandequal.org/apply/
Providing a welcoming and inclusive workplace for all is at the heart of Out & Equal’s mission, and we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization through our hiring practices and the values we bring to our work every day. We strongly encourage people of color, trans and nonbinary people, people with disabilities, and women to apply. Out & Equal complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.