You are an innovative thinker who is passionate about HR, comfortable with the range of responsibilities of an HR/Operations generalist, demonstrates a foundation of related knowledge and skills, has experience being the go-to person that staff come to with questions, and leads with focus, good judgment, and poise. You’re able to execute day-to-day office management including supervising a Finance Manager and Operations Associate.
You are responsible for performing HR-related duties with a high-degree of confidentiality, professionalism, collaboration, and critical thinking. Your job is to support our recruiting and onboarding program, benefits administration, payroll, while working in collaboration to improve current systems and process that advances our mission and sustains our committed, productive staff. In addition to HR responsibilities, you’ll be acting in an Operations capacity supporting the team with tools and resources needed to be successful.
About the Organization
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the world’s premier nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer workplace equality. We partner with Fortune 1000 companies and government agencies to provide executive leadership development, comprehensive training and consultation, and professional networking opportunities that build inclusive and welcoming work environments.
Since 1996, we have worked with executives, human resources professionals, Employee Resource Groups and individuals to provide leadership and professional development, education, and research to create workplaces free of discrimination. Out & Equal hosts the annual Workplace Summit where employees and experts from around the world gather to share strategies and best practices to create diverse and inclusive workplaces that foster belonging for LGBTQ people around the world.
Duties & Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of HR and Operations will:
- Support the recruitment and hiring program, including working with hiring managers to develop and implement a hiring plan that fully utilizes our recruiting system, posting open positions, developing interview questions and exercises, screening candidates and scheduling interviews, and drafting offer letters.
- Administer onboarding process to ensure each new staff member is welcomed, set up for success from the outset, and able to integrate seamlessly into the organization, working closely with other members of the executive, operations, and finance teams.
- Respond to individual HR questions, issues, and requests from employees with an open door, including utilizing HR expertise to create an environment of confidence and accountability that ensures staff come to HR for their workforce needs.
- Process payroll and managing all compensation updates including employee status and benefits changes, ensuring accurate leave balances and benefits enrollments/deductions, assisting employees with timecard entry and trouble-shooting, producing regular reports, performing audits to ensure data integrity.
- Effectively accomplish administrative HR tasks including maintaining personnel files; completing employment verification requests; monitoring provisional employment periods and notifying supervisors; reporting, maintaining and monitoring all workers’ compensation files; and, other admin tasks as required.
- Lead Benefits Program including ensuring Out & Equal has competitive and cutting-edge benefits packages.
- Help drive programs that lead to higher employee retention including a professional development program and cutting-edge performance review system.
- Administer benefits programs, including health, dental and vision, 401(k), Flexible Spending Account plans, and other insurance, including processing benefits for new staff members, answering staff questions about benefits.
- Support the process for transitioning staff to new roles or off-boarding from the organization that ensure an effective transition of responsibilities and capture learnings from their time on staff/in role.
- Provide compliance support, including staying updated on compliance changes (e.g. laws, ordinances, policies, procedures); reviewing ACA compliance tracking; administering internal policies, practices, and procedures consistently across the staff.
- Supervise Finance Manager and Operation Associate- create opportunities for professional growth and develop team culture that aligns with the values of Out & Equal.
- Manage day-to-day Operations including but not limited to, physical office environment, technology and equipment needs, shipping and receiving, staff incentives (activities, meals/snacks, celebrations, etc.).
- Manage inter-office technology needs including staff computers, printers, projectors and manage relationship with tech-support vendor.
- Participate in the strategic planning process and be part of the team that builds the new brand of Out & Equal.
- Sit on the Out & Equal Leadership Team and participate in visioning and execution of our mission.
- Special projects, research, and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, business or a related field.
- 10(+) years of HR experience
- Interest and ability to thrive in a busy environment, including the ability to easily balance being available to staff and staying focused on details.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office 365 Suite, Project Management software- experience with ADP, Zenefits, and Salesforce preferred
- Ability to work with a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated experience and enjoyment working with and supporting a diverse workforce.
- Experience supporting an innovative recruitment/onboarding program.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 12 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match and safe harbor.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis. Applications must include (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, (2) resume, (3) salary expectations. Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org – applications submitted through auto-applying via job search site will not be reviewed.
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristic, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.