You are a strategic creative thinker and a focused impeccable executer. You’re a passionate driver of our message with expertise in varying communication mediums. You’re an exceptionally strong writer and you can adjust your voice to match the leader you’re scripting for. You are multi-talented and have experience in press, design, social media, light video editing, print and digital media, and crisis communications. You are an inspiring team leader and a motivating and supportive supervisor.
You are responsible for leading and executing Out & Equal’s Marketing and Communications strategy. You will plan, organize, and direct our Communications work including but not limited to working with the press, supporting Out & Equal leadership with media briefings, shaping our social media voice, driving the creation of all printed and digital collateral, speech writing, and owning the brand of the organization. This role will have a unique opportunity to drive our Regional Affiliate program and organize a team of passionate volunteer leaders in expanding Out & Equal’s brand and visibility. The position supervises, coaches, and mentors two full time staff members in the Communications Department.
About the Organization
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the world’s premier nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer workplace equality. We partner with Fortune 1000 companies and government agencies to provide executive leadership development, comprehensive training and consultation, and professional networking opportunities that build inclusive and welcoming work environments.
Since 1996, we have worked with executives, human resources professionals, Employee Resource Groups and individuals to provide leadership and professional development, education, and research to create workplaces free of discrimination. Out & Equal hosts the annual Workplace Summit where employees and experts from around the world gather to share strategies and best practices to create diverse and inclusive workplaces that foster belonging for LGBTQ people around the world.
Duties & Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Communications will:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications strategy across organization’s diverse audiences in collaboration with Out & Equal leadership and constituents
- Lead the creation, execution, and creative visioning of a new website for Out & Equal
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness and drive engagement and attendance at Out & Equal programs and events
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and website
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance-ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
- Manage all media contacts, write and send press releases, organize interviews for Out & Equal leadership, secure earned media in print and digital
- Lead Out & Equal CEO visibility projects including honoree applications, keynote pitches, and OpEd placements
- Draft speeches and write scripts for Out & Equal leadership, programs, and events
- Drive Out & Equal Regional Affiliate program- support volunteer leaders, source mutual benefit for leaders, Affiliates, and Out & Equal, ensure brand is effectively represented at all times within the program, leverage program to widen visibility, and expand our reach
- Supervise two full-time Communications Staff members- create opportunities for professional growth and develop team culture that aligns with the values of Out & Equal.
- Participate in the strategic planning process and be part of the team that builds the new brand of Out & Equal.
- Sit on the Out & Equal Leadership Team and participate in visioning and execution of our mission.
- Special projects, research, and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or a related field.
- 10(+) years of Communications experience – strong preference for experience in LGBTQ Communications or Advocacy work
- Interest and ability to thrive in a busy environment, including the ability to easily balance being available to staff and staying focused on details.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Experience with design software, light web development, video editing, and print management
- Demonstrated experience and enjoyment working with and supporting a diverse workforce.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 12 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match and safe harbor.
We encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will be evaluating applications on a rolling basis. Applications must include (1) a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, (2) resume, (3) salary expectations. Please submit your application to email@example.com – applications submitted through auto-applying via job search site will not be reviewed.
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristic, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.