Do you believe in LGBT equality? Would you like to work with a dynamic team of coworkers? Are you interested in a career where you can make a difference? Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is the pre-eminent non-profit organization dedicated to winning global workplace equality for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
Out & Equal is seeking to hire an Associate Director of Communications to lead and execute the marketing and communications of Out & Equal. This individual must be a creative, experienced self-starter with an understanding of LGBT and business media marketing. This position is located in our San Francisco office and reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The Associate Director of Communications is responsible for planning, organizing and directing Out & Equal’s communications strategies and public information activities.
The Associate Director is responsible for fostering and maintaining relationships with news media editors, reporters, other governmental elected officials and their staff, other communications directors, community leaders, donors and sponsors and partner organizations involved with the organization.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Planning, organizing and directing overall communications strategies and public information activities for the organization;
- Analyzing, developing and articulating media policies;
- Keeping management and staff apprised of relevant current events on a daily basis;
- Strategizing and implementing CEO and organization visibility;
- Coordinating, overseeing and attending press events;
- Overseeing internal and external communications and presentations through visual displays, production of newsletters and web sites and occasional public events;
- Maintaining extensive and positive relationships with local and national media;
- Collaborating with resources to ensure completion of duties associated with public information, video production, web site development and maintenance, photography, collateral support materials and internal and external events;
- Developing and managing department budgets;
- Proactively pitching story ideas on a local and national level, seeking out additional media opportunities and coordinating local and national media sponsorships and funding for all Out & Equal programs;
- Managing, planning, directing, controlling and implementing public relations strategy with an aggressive communications program in the media markets including social media with an emphasis on Out & Equal programs, media advocacy and support for fundraising events;
- Providing consultation and training for board and staff to ensure effective implementation of communications initiatives; including the branding of Out & Equal.
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred), in public relations, journalism, communications or a related field with a minimum of five years of relevant experience;
- Experience with and understanding of non-profit, mission-based advocacy;
- Established portfolio of journalism, public relations or communications materials;
- Excellent communication skills, ability to handle multiple projects under deadline pressure, detail and results-oriented and strong knowledge of budget processes;
- Comprehensive knowledge of media operations and expertise in the field of public relations and release of information for publication;
- Proven ability to develop communication strategies related to organizational policies in collaboration with a diverse team
- Extensive knowledge of, and experience in, the application of theories, principles and practices of journalism and mass communications as they relate to public information services;
- Experience working with elected officials and CEO-level leadership, an ability to work comfortably and efficiently under tight timelines and strong, effective written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience producing high quality graphic materials essential;
- Knowledge of the latest advances in effective use of Internet technologies;
- Strong media relations experience, including media sponsorship negotiation and pitching to local TV, print and radio on an on-going basis.
Join Out & Equal’s dedicated team of employees who believe in our organization’s mission of encouraging everyone to bring their best self to work every day. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds, ethnicities and gender identities to apply.
For more information, visit our website www.outandequal.org.
Salary is dependent on experience.
Benefits include 3 weeks paid vacation but 6 personal/discretionary days, a comprehensive employer-paid health and welfare program, commuter discount program, life insurance, and 401(k). Details of each program, including waiting periods and eligibility criteria, are available for review.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Out & Equal Workplace Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristic, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.